Monday, January 19, 2009

Our journey!

Over the last few days I have had a chance to think about what I am doing. I am an unpublished writer. I have a stockpile of manuscripts in my cupboard. I intend to write a novel about an intercultural Fijian relationship soon. I started writing this blog because I was desperate to understand Fijian culture, its traditions and customs and there is nothing out there.I thought that by sharing my experiences I could assist others in the same situation. I have had plenty of confirmation from friends met through this blogsite that I have helped.
I have lived in Italy and for twenty years I have immersed myself in the lifestyle and learnt the language. When I am in Italy now I blend into Italian life.
Fiji is different. I am a kavalagi. I am different. Fijian culture is still a mystery to me. I tried to learn the language but had difficulty finding someone who with the time to spend on conversation. I only learnt about tradition when I had made a mistake. It has been frustrating. My relationship with my husband has succeeded only because we have created a level of communication which bridges two cultures. He has to compromise and so do I. We treat each other as equals and respect each other.
I am so proud of him. He is adjusting to Australian daily life and makes inciteful comments frequently to the differences. Every country has good and bad and plenty of social problems. It is my view. I will not be compromised. I live in a democracy with freedom of Speech. I am sad to see the comments by Fijians and am sad to see that not one of them had the guts to leave their name. That is a side of Fijian culture I don't like.
Thank your for your support and positive comments all my kavalagi friends out there. This blog site is written for you. In Fijian culture people are quiet and in the village situation I have heard Chita say often - I can't say much'. That is not the Australian way- when we have an issue of problem we talk about it. We don't have to wait for a village meeting to speak our opinions out loud. I have never meant to offend - I have tried to use humour instead.
I have nothing to hide except a strong and deep love for my husband. I have spent four years supporting him, his family and his clan. We opened a village business which I am proud of. It has been a struggle to get him to Australia. It has taken a personal toll upon me. I have had to prepare all the paperwork, change jobs so I could support his application and apply for visitor's visa. I had to cut back my living expenses to nothing so I could afford to go back to Fiji and see him every three months. Last year I got seriously ill from the stress of it all but we did it!! I made a commitment to my husband that I would be there for him always. He and I are very happy.
Arriving at Melbourne airport at 11 pm in a near empty airport all I can remember is his smile. We walked around Melbourne city the next day and his comment to me was ' I am in the land of the kavalagi'. I looked through his eyes and instead of seeing Australians on holiday, he is now seeing Australians participating in daily life. Our flight back to Tas was delayed for 8 hours and the two of us were tired, bored and desperate to get on a plane - His comment cracked me up - If I spend much more time here I will turn white.
He has got a job already working two days a week for a gourmet butcher. His first pay was the equivalent of three weeks work in Fiji. He is very grateful. I am about to take him on a walkabout tomorrow to find more casual work - probably in Hospitality. We are no longer a separate entity - we are 'Us' and we are heading towards a future as a couple. Laughter is going to be the way forward. He still has issues with pyjamas - an ozzie concept but I have agreed that he is making so many adjustments on a daily basis that we will take change one day at a time.
However, I have the responsibility of this man. We still have to apply for a spouse visa and meet all the conditions. I have been a single and independent woman who has travelled the world and loves OTHER CULTURES. I have to adjust to someone else being in my appartment and my life. So far it has been fun.
Chita's cousin Joe in Sydney remarked that he loved the burgers in Australia. Chita has already told me - I know why Fijians stay in Australia, there is so much food to choose from. Watching Chita enjoy day trips driving around Tassie, eating new foods - creme de menthe meringues and apple and rhubarb crumble are off his list, playing touch footy on Sunday and getting to meet a few people, hanging out with my brother, being welcomed into my family, and us spending time together. He has been here over a month and last year I only spent a week in January in Cyclone Gene, a week in June, an week in September. Our journey has begun!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO HAPPY you have decided to hang in here and update us all, your an inspiration to all kavalagi's Amanda!

PS: LOL my husband had issues with pj's too, he now wears his pj boxers. The food thing is still a big challenge for us, he misses his cassava & dalo something wicked, like you said, 'one day at a time' eh!

S & M

Anonymous said...

hi mandy hope chita is enjoying himself,tel him we should go back home and finish our project.and should cook for me wen im back home.your stories is great,keep writng.love joe

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda!

It has been so interesting to follow your story! I would love to get into contact via email to share and get your opinion on my story......

Do you have an email I can contact you with?

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Hi amanda!!!

Its Liti...read ur blog...nice story...very challenging to read it knowing that im from the same village as chita....do hang in there n it will all work out fine...anyways ur a great cook...keep writing up n kip us posted...!
loads of hugs,
Liti(votua)

Anonymous said...

WE ALL ENCOURAGE THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH BUT THERE IS ALSO A LINE YOU DONT CROSS. I BELIEVE THAT THE COMMENTS GIVEN BY THE VOTUA VILLAGE MAN WAS MORE REGARDING THE FACT YOU USED THEIR NAMES. I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR BLOGS FOR SOME TIME NOW AND AS I AM ALSO WITH A FIJIAN MALE I COULD APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS AND TOTALLY UNDERSTOOD THE FRUSTATION OF THE SEPARATION, IMMIGRATION PROCESS AND THE CULTURAL DIFFERENCES. FROM SPENDING TIME WITH MY PARTNER AND HIS FAMILY I HAVE LEARNT THAT THEY ARE VERY PRIVATE PEOPLE. IT WAS JUST A SHAME YOU COULDNT OF SHARED YOUR BLOG WITHOUT COMPROMISING THEIR PRIVICY. BY NAMING THEM YOU HAVENT GIVEN THEM THE RIGHT OF REPLY AND THAT IS COMPLETELY UNFAIR. I JUST WANT TO SAY HOWEVER I WAS EXCITED TO HEAR THAT CHITA GOT HIS VISA AND YOU BOTH CAN START YOUR NEW LIFE TOGETHER. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST

Anonymous said...

I feel a sadness from you in this latest blog - that you feel a need to explain yourself. I am sure the writer from Chita's village also just wanted to explain himself. I am sure you can take his input, and continue with perhaps a little more thought on those you are writing about, since that seemed to be the issue.

Don't stop, and please include some wedding pics....

I am so looking forward to going back to Fiji next month and am going to look for a little house to buy, I really hope to move there and enjoy the wonderful environment in a few short years...

You make me feel a little closer to Fiji when I read your blogs, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

hi,readng this blog was a big chaledge to aussie womans,if you fall in love to a fijian show him wats right and keep the knots tight so that no ones fall.i have been with my girl for four n a half years until i prosponed to her on my birthday last year.know im in dreamland but im proud to be back to my country.looking this blog im proud of chita and amanda getting maried.being a village boy i didnt apprecite some of amandas third blog which she says no wonder fijians womans ass are so wide n i thought she might be taking about my mom.but i say cool,remeber you gonna be judge one day.i like your story but be careful wats you write.for all woman outhere having a fijian man wat amanda is trying to say wen catch a fish in fiji by your hook dont let the line go,there wil be current n rocks so that you can give up.plis dont u might loose your luck...keep on writing amanda but be care of of blog.wish you al the best.take care.frm your friend.

Anonymous said...

I have been giving a lot of thought to this blog. I suppose I keep reading it because sometimes it makes me laugh at the pure self indulgence of the author. yes, we aussies like to vent and get things out there, but it's one thing to say this stuff to your friends and another to put it out there for the world to read.I am with a beautiful Fiji guy. We love each other very much but if things go wrong between us, it will be because of the cultural differences.I find Fiji is like Australia maybe 30 years ago, when women were mostly seen and not heard. I could never be in a relationship like this and will always be treated as an equal. To be with a Fijian man means SLOWLY bringing around change and accepting him to be a man and that he may never conform to what you think he should be. This mistake is made by mostly women of all races and time again, proves to be disaster. To expect a Fijian to appreciate "fine dining" is a total joke. If you have learnt anything, surely it is that all Fijians like spicy food and plenty of it --doesn't matter if it is served hot or cold.What makes the Fijian people so beautiful is that as long as they have food, a place to sleep and the love of their family and friends, everything else is just a bonus. They are not hung up on clothes, our so called "right way" to do things, a relic of the English system or for that matter most stuff we think is important. Sure, they like money and what it can get, but their philosophy is 'easy come, easy go' it is not a big deal.
To all the women out there with Fijian men, instead of hanging onto every word in this blog, and as Amanda has said, this is just her opinions, go stay in your guy's village for a month or as long as you can. Don't go to Fiji and stay at your nice resort or hotel. Get out there and discover for your self the land he comes from. A visit to the rels in the village for tea or kava tells you nothing. To understand, live the life with an open mind. Sure, there are a lot of things that you won't agree with or like, but know this is his culture and respect it.If you do this a few times and find yourself unable to adjust or think you will change things when you get him here, think again. Maybe the romance of Fiji has got you. This is fantasy and maybe you should forget about it. If you chose to go with the relationship, just know it will not be easy. If it is meant to be, you will overcome the problems with humour and compromise, not by complaining and telling the world what he said, how he spoke to you, and all the other junk. Hope this has helped someone out there.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that last comment is really telling it how it is (or at least, from another persons point of view) lol .....

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Bula vinaka Amanda,
I stumbled across your blog this morning and what a time you have had. We've helped (or hindered) lots of Aussie girls wanting their beloved Fijian guys, or visa versa to get together. Immigration is certainly awkward. Anyway, it's good it eventually worked out for you.
We were married New Year's Eve in 1966 and are still together. I stayed on in Fiji 13 years at that time and then we came to Oz as a family in 1975. No immigration hassles then. Our blogs are http://babasiga.blogspot.com and http://geelong-visual-diary.blogspot.com
Loloma
Wendy in Geelong
PS Your story should be essential reading for girls contemplating getting married to the tall handsome young Fijian men!

Anonymous said...

Wendy, thankyou for sharing your blog sites with us. Amanda and Chita's story is very interesting and its great to know that there are other women out there who are experiencing successful marriages between Fijian men and Aussie women. As I suspect, not all Fijian men are using us aussie ladies for a better life or a free ticket to Australia. Thank you

Anonymous said...

You go girl !!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,just wondering if you have any comments on the opinion of that women suggesting we should stay in the village to see what the real thing is like or if anyone else can comment?

Anonymous said...

Don't understand your question - what 'real thing' are you meaning ?

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

May I butt in here? The 'real thing' is to get to know the extended famly, their priorities, their way of life (different from hotel music, moonlight, etc.), their emphasis on religion, their anxieties. My three years living with four families on a cane-farm (which is now a village) were full of great times and some difficulties, but a necessary experience to understand the 'other half'. The help with the children and housework was excellent as I worked part-time as a teacher.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,
I've been reading with tears in my eyes!!!Congratualtions to you & Chita - can't wait to see some wedding pics.
Keep well, keep smiling & good luck to you both.
Love
Aileen

Camie said...

Hi Amanda,

I have just come across your blog after trying to find some information on Australian and Fijian relationships. My Man (Pena) lives on the Coral Coast and I had no idea it would be so hard to have him come over to see where I live and how I live. I like you in the beginning have a huge phone bills after getting a mobile phone for Pena. I have just put some money into an account for him and told him to go to Sigatoka get a visa and book a flight. You have made me very nervous. I now see that it is not going to be that easy. I have spoken to immigration and they said as long as he has a enough money in the bank (which I can do for him) and that he can show he has a reason to go home (he has the farm and family but no job) then there shouldn't be a problem. How easy it is for us as Australians to Travel. I am also a Tasmanian so what you have written seems even more real for me.

Congratulations on getting married I was down at the Taste for New Years Eve so I got to see the same fire works as you.

Thank you for the blog and all you have shared.

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Oh dear, Camie,
You haven't even started the process yet! He just can't go to nearby Sigatoka and get a visa. He'll to go to the Australian Embassy in Suva and join a long, long, queue, get forms to fill out, etc. etc. and it takes ages to get papers. Many get rejected for various reasons particularly if they think he will overstay. Sorry, but that's it.
w.