Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fiji is always close!

Having Chita here in Australia has been great. He is adjusting to a new way of life, but retaining his dignity as a Fijian living in Australia. He and I both love Fiji and would love to be building up a business in Fiji, assisting the village community of Votua and providing education and training to young Fijians from his clan.
Unfortunately, at the moment that is not possible. We have two good friends running the business for us, and we know we can always go back and visit. We are also organising a way to support his mum from Oz.
I have had a recent comment from a Fijian male, saying that I am being disrespectful to Chita's family and his culture. That is something I would never do. I started this blog to build bridges so that other Australian girls who find themselves in the same circumstances will need patience and persistance in an intercultural relationship. I respect his family and his clan. I have never talked about them. Living with two cultures requires flexibility, patience, mutual tolerance and respect. Chita and I have begun that journey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda no need to justify your comments honey,, this is your blog and yours alone,,, if others read it and feel that you are offending,, then they are not understanding of you and your ways,,

Its not all about Fijian culture and its not all about Australian culture,,

Enjoy your journey

x

Anonymous said...

As an observer of your blogs, and one who is white but think the Fijian people and Fiji are wonderful; I have enjoyed your blogs with interest, but absolutely NO judgement. I am off to Fiji again next month and the highlight will be to see the friends I have made. One of whom I could love, but unfortunately our age difference is too great...