Monday, November 17, 2008

Hanging in there!

I had a serious chat to Chita yesterday. He is hanging in there. He like me is starting to think is this ever going to happen. I have paid for a migration agent - how can they not believe our relationship is genuine. How do we prove that our relationship is genuine. We don't have phone accounts other than vodafone. We don't write letters to each other anymore. I talk to him every couple of days on the phone and send a text or two. He has no computer -he cannot send emails.
Its the evidence according to Australian standards that is killing us. We don't have a home in Fiji - yet. We don't have a phone line, or electricity bills or water bills together (anyway in Fiji water is free)
I could compile a whole load of papers but it still doesn't prove that we love and care for each other. Chita has been interviewed but I have not. I hope that the sacrifice of moving to Hobart, to get a full time job, and live with a friend has paid off. It has cost me my health - a wriggly worm maybe lodged in my intestines - but not for long - a dose of vermox is going to shoo him out.
I keep saying patience is something I thought I had but it fades with inaction. Luckily Chita has something to do. Take a form we have already submitted, fill it out again and take a van ride to Suva and back and submit it. Please God, let this be the last thing they ask for.
Flights are going up. I am saving madly. I cannot afford to go to Fiji to go and get him. He will have to make his own way from Nadi to Sydney and then Melbourne. I will meet him there for the weekend and show him the sights and eat fabulous food together.
I have never been this powerless in my life. Our future lies in the hands of an office clerk, who may be having a good day or a bad day. He or she may feel like doing this properly or dismissing our case to the bottom of the pile. Who knows? December is looming and I know Chita is getting nervous. I am hiding my nerves and thinking he will be here in a couple of weeks. Why the hell not?
I told him in September last year I could not continue living apart. I have a partner who is invisible to my family and friends, who knows nothing of my life and who has never visited my country. I can't live like this.
Please Kevin Rudd ease up on the restrictions on immigration. Even Rupert Murdoch told you so.
I need him here. We need to have a life together or what's the point of it all?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Geeeeze Amanda! I know EXACTLY what you guy's are going through.. We went through the same process and frustrations as you guys are going through now.

DITCH that useless migration agent he sounds as useless as the embassy staff there in Suva. Hope you made a copy of your application and all the paperwork that you summitted, it was the only proof we had to throw back at them that we did indeed provide this and that.

It's a horrible process to go through, especially dealing with the office clerks that loose this and that, you wouldnt think that they actually scan each paperwork that is provided in the application so its all electronic.

If we didn't go to the Suva embassy that last week we'd still be sitting there and waiting on a decision to be made, they really believe in 'fiji time', aarrrhh!

Anyways that's my 2cents worth, all I can say is HANG IN THERE gal, here's hoping that you get the APPROVED decision soon and that you guys get to spend Xmas together.

Be ready to travel over there when you get your approved decision coz on that 'first' travel for Chita he needs to travel with you, after that he's right to fly back and forth on his own. and yes I know with all the travelling back and forth you have done it gets to be on a tight budget and bugga the savings up...

GOOD LUCK Amanda & Chita, I wish you both all the best, and I hope your health is getting better now too Amanda, moce mada for now......

Anonymous said...

I imagine you could submit your blog as evidence of your relationship.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda
I have recently come across your blog and found it quite interesting. I recently met a guy whilst I was in fiji and the phone calls and texts have been continuing since.
I noticed in your last blog that you were saying Chita has never visited your country and was wondering why that was.
Best of luck Amanda and I hope it all works out for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

I recently came across your blog and can really relate.
I worked in Fiji this year as a volunteer for 8 months. I lived in a Fijian village and was really immersed in the culture and life. They all treated me like a Fijian (as much as they could I suppose). Anyway I fell in love with a guy out there. It got serious very quickly especially when everyone in the village found out. It was good in a way because we didn't have to sneak around but also bad because they all think we'll get married.
I was offered a job with the organisation I volunteered with and when I left (end of Sept) I thought that I would go back in January and live in Suva working but still carrying on the relationship. I had a plan and everything was perfect. Anyway due to changes in the immigration system I found out after I left that the job had fallen through. I was devastated because I thought now the job has gone I can't go back for this guy surely. Anyway that is exactly what I am doing. I have no plan, all I know is that I am going back in January for 4 months or until funds run out. I cut my travelling in Asia short by a month so I could come back to the UK and work for two months. The flights are VERY expensive from England! My family are not best pleased as I am still young (23yrs) and they would prefer me to use my university degree and settle down in a good career. They think I am wasting my life swanning off to Fiji again. Part of me thinks I am making a mistake and that though it would be painful if I stayed home I would eventually get over him. I obviously have huge doubts..I was really really happy living there but I wonder if I can do it permanently and when it does get tough can I cope with the isolation. Despite this I have not got the will power to stop myself. I cannot stop myself going back. Anyway whatever happens its all life experience I guess!

You seem like a very strong and determined woman. I sincerly hope it all works out for you. I understand your frustrations about being 'the kavalangi' and Fijians assuming you have a money tree that magically grows in the garden.

I wish you happiness and luck,

Kate
katesalterego@hotmail.com