Thursday, August 14, 2008

Good and Bad News!

I have been super optimistic lately, not fretting, not thinking negative thoughts. Chita has been up to Suva a few times to push his medical, x-ray and today his police clearance. It appears to be moving forward.
In my mind I had visualised his arrival as September/October and now I have a letter from the Department stating our visa will take 6 months so the interview date is, wait for it, the 9th of December 2008. Blimey. I knew it could take 4- 10 months so its exactly in between.
Part of me feels like going to Fiji and getting married, but that would upset the visa process and who knows how much longer we would have to wait....
I am philosophical about it, but I am also thinking, six months without seeing Chita. I don't think so. I have just forked out for an appartment, now have regular bills, and am trying to set up something for us here, and today I have been scrabbling around on the internet trying to find cheap fares from Hobart to Nadi and back. I have been working out my pay to see if I have enough money to go. Not really. Chita wants a holiday but no funds available.
Will he have the room on the shop built? Maybe, maybe not. A week at his mum's... will mean having to incorporate village festivities and responsibilities into our week and I don't want to.
Will wait for a miracle on wotif.com or lastminute.com.
Good news is that we have found a couple to look after the shop if Chita ever gets to Australia. An Italian friend of ours, who I had wanted to work with last year, has just lost her guest house - no lease, five years of renovation and maintenance and now the wily Indian owner wants to sell and she has no money to buy....
Business is very risky in Fiji.
Anyhow, I had discussed my wood fired oven idea- making our own bread, pizza and cakes and selling to passing traffic- and maybe it could just work. A contract is required I told Chita, and he agreed.
So much for us building a house in Fiji, working in Australia, travelling around Tassie together, and then further afield to Japan, where Chita lived off and on for three years, and back to Sicily for me.... in September 2009 would be nice.
Am applying for jobs, with a higher salary and more senior role to cope with this constant drain on my resources. At present I get to see my love, my partner, for 1-2 weeks every three months..... no wonder people give up... am I insane? am I enjoying this torture on some level? what am I getting out of it? not a lot at present....i know how African refugees feel. This is madness!
Our official letter requesting extra information was wrong - they had ticked the wrong boxes. I hope it is sent to Australia and processed here, otherwise with Fiji time, who knows how long it will take.... my patience is wearing thin...

2 comments:

Emma said...

Hi Amanda,

I enjoyed reading your blogs. Some of the stuff reminds me of my dad and his family (he's from the solomon islands). Solomon islands and Fiji have a similar culture so i can totally relate to some of the stuff you write. Unfortunately i don't think Islanders ever totally hook into western time But Chita could prove me wrong.

I also have done the long distance (across the ocean) relationship. One with a Brit and last year with a Fijian. I ended the relationship with the Fijian boy cos i decided after the British guy i just didn't want to do the long distance thing again. So when i went to Fiji a couple of months ago i was determined to go unattached and come back unattached but it didn't work out that way. I really like this guy alot. Unfortunately due to circumstances i am unable to go back to fiji until next year so i am still wondering on whether or not i should just let him go.

Anyway i know Australia is one of the hardest countries to get into so good luck and i hope it all works out well for you and Chita.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,, Sitting here at Sigatoka and thought I would check out your blog. The room was being measured up today. totally jealous of the view you will have :-)Met your Italian friend, her beautiful son and her partner.. You guys will do really well selling pizzas with that view and so close to passing traffic

Love the previous blog... its also a dead give away when the wife answers the phone..hmmmmmmm

Seeya
Your Brissy Mate!!