Thursday, March 29, 2007

Bainimarama and me

Was having a tough week with the Beach Bure Bar project, trying to coordinate two brothers for a meeting to discuss how we are going to get the lease. A cousin of Chita's who is in a special investigations unit with the government, offered me some advice and even prepared the papers for Joe, (Chita's brother) over a month a go, to present to the landowner. Where were they? Sitting on the kitchen bench and being given a wide berth.
I needed time out so I went to Suva for the afternoon and found myself having a coffee and a chat with Vili. He has lived in New Zealand so he can appreciate the frustrations I have been succumbing to. However, in Fiji, all is not lost. He told me that Fijians fear change. They do not believe in themselves to instigate change. Halleluiah! Am I hearing you brother! It explains a lot. Fijians don't like conflict. They don't like saying no, so they omit,evade and avoid at all costs. It drives me nuts.
Anyhow, he asked me if I had a laptop. I said 'Yes, but its back in Votua. Do you need something typed? I am a fast typer.'
Within minutes I had half the special investigations team in Phyllis, an American's car, and they were sorting out her land and business issues for free on the way down to the Coral Coast.
The report to be typed is called 'Collusion in High Places' and addresses the issues of corruption by an elite handful who have made a packet out of Fiji. One of my friend's has been involved in a land dispute and was wrongfully deported two months a go, not by the Immigration department but by the Resort which did not like his imput. It would make a good movie. He was arrested on a Friday evening around 6 pm and was immediately handcuffed. No one showed him ID. His colleague had enough time to throw a bag of stuff together and he was whisked away to Suva for a night. One of his captors was a local policeman. Handsomely paid no doubt. Anyhow, the next day, his captors brought kava and offered him a bowl as an apology for taking him. He was not allowed access to a telephone. He was taken to the airport terminal and the ticket was in an envelope marked with the name of the resort..... Jesus.
Anyhow, his testimony is evidence for this report on corruption in high places and explains the methods used by foreign investors, corrupt government ministers and even corrupt lawyers to railroad the local landowners, pay them a pittance and reap huge financial rewards.
My heart was in my mouth as I read it. My blood boiled over occasionally as I was typing and I had to stop and let out an expletive or two. Vili sat beside me writing as I was typing and then read it out loud as I typed away. It was an exhilerating experience. Not only was I helping a friend, but I was one step away from the commodore, as this report should have been presented to parliament this week.
It feel good to be doing something that is real. I have been chasing my tail for the last month trying to get the Beach Bure Bar on the road and nothing. I also need to state that in the last month we have had a group wedding six or seven couples from the village, marrying on the same day. In Fiji you have a civil ceremony and when you can afford it you hold the village wedding. A group wedding makes economic sense at this time, when many have no jobs. The preparations go on for a week. Then old aunty who was 92 died in her bed on a Saturday morning. Another week of preparations, with much kava, and much boy talk; the women are left at home. Then there are visits from the University of the South Pacific to discuss a water project. Then Chita is on the Korolevu Wai ( water) committee and has a job checking the meter on a daily basis. Then there is the plantation to be cleared, the beach to be raked, the grass outside the beach bure bar to be cut and before you know it a month has gone by...
I have been working as a tutor to two Australian couples whose children are being home schooled. Have just found out today that one of the families has bought a farm and is returning to Albury so my services are no longer required.
The last month has been food for thought. Business here is a long slow process. My idea of getting the cafe open and starting a woodfired oven have not happened. I need a job to stay. I keep applying but they have to be offered to Fijians first or the salary scale is too low and most businesses think I would not be interested. It looks like I might have to come back to Australia for an injection of good food, hot water, clean clothes, and maybe extra cash in my pocket. Its not what I wanted, but money leaches from my pocket here.
There are family bills to be contributed to, family celebrations to be contributed to, weekly food bill and transport.
I finally got Joe's wife Natalie to agree to bring him to Amelia, the mother's house for a meeting on Tuesday. The day dawned and we had visitors from USP at the house so I was busy cooking and told Chita to send a message and ask to postpone it as reception when it rains is not great. He gets a call around 8.30 asking for our whereabouts. Wednesday night, he turns to me, 'are we still going down to see Joe?' of course we bloody are, I felt like saying but just nodded. We arrive at the house to find that there has been no water for three days, so Natalie and Joe had taken their smelly nephew back to the hotel for a bath. Chita disappears for a smoke and I wait. 8.00 Joe and Natalie arrive. No sign of Chita. I ring him and tell him to come. Sometimes my patience is sorely tested.
We sit down for the meeting and Natalie basically lets the boys have it. It was a mistake to build the cafe there without a lease. We agreed to set up a milk bar initially with funds from Chita's superannuation. Joe and Chita both agreed to take Uncle and go and see the landowner to see if we can get the lease papers signed. It was supposed to be the next day. Yes Amanda, we are going.
I send Chita a text saying' hope it goes well'. I ring him after work only to discover the meeting was postponed because of an Easter ritual - fasting from four am to 4 p.m. I could roll my eyes and curse, but by now I am used to it.
Last night after dinner Chita went down to the village again to discuss the strategy for getting Isoa to sign. I have not seen him today yet. There is a fifty fifty chance it may have happened. I will wait until I hear.
Back to me. I am losing weight from walking up and down a steep hill everyday. I am feeling fit. I am loving not wearing tight fitting clothes. I am loving cooking and baking.
I just get lonely sometimes and miss my girlfriends. When you live with all guys, they are a sometimes talkative and sometimes very quiet lot. Chita talks to Joe in Fijian. If its a long conversation its either about rugby or fishing or farming.
I am in Suva for the weekend to escape the village and be alone with my man. He will stay up late of course to watch the HongKong 7's and I will wander around the shops, have a coffee and cake somewhere and do girlie things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Moo how is the dvd watching going. I can send you some if you are in need of the some escapist activities.
polly xx