Thursday, February 08, 2007

On again Off again

Had a family meeting last night and discussed the opening of the cafe. Yes it is going to happen. Chita and I have had chats. So much energy and effort has gone into the building, that it seems pointless not to get it going and get something in return for our efforts.
I am dealing with a culture which has no concept of time. Things are said to me and I sit here wondering whether they mean today, tomorrow, never or maybe. Its been a frustrating time. I have given Chita an ultimatum ( which means absolutely nothing to him but everything to me) to get the cafe open as a small milkbar as soon as possible.
I have had a win. In Suva last week I meet a cousin who is on the anti corruption board and is also going to advise me on how to get a work permit. Its who you know here.
I spoke to Natalie, who works at the Naviti Hotel, and is Joe (Chita's brothers' wife) about what we can do to push these men forward. She is going to get me contact details for bricks, a vocational unit in Suva that makes cheap chairs and tables, and I am somehow going to get the electricity and water on by the end of February.
I have decided that too much information is not good for a Fijian male. They process one thing at a time and sit on that until its done. It drives me nuts but that's the way it is.
I have now developed the method of sneakily planning, organising and networking quietly and will present everything I have done as a fait accomplis.
I need a return on my investment, I can show him how to start budgeting and saving money. What a challenge!
Its not that they don't want to but somehow daily life gets in the way. Its been a challenging, frustrating and culturally different experience for me.
Living here has developed a gentle rhythm and I am up at 6 or 6.30 at the latest everyday. I am eating simply, exercising everyday and never lonely. I came here to find a way to bridge two cultures and make a business and relationship work. A huge challenge and we are still talking to each other so something must be going right.
I will keep you posted.

3 comments:

Mrs Smith said...

milk bar. nice
i'll havec shixty-shix shenshe worth of shnifters shanks.

G

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda- please email me at staghorncoral@hotmail.com
I've lost your e-mail.

Hope you are enoying Delainamara!! Please use the meats in the freezer!!

D said...

u said: "I have now developed the method of sneakily planning, organising and networking quietly and will present everything I have done as a fait accomplis."

i say: THAT, my friend it they key to the sucess of any relationship that is to last more than 3 months. congratulations for finding women's best kept secret. Now all you have to do is NEVER tell him that you're doing it (tricking him into everything) and it will reamain secret women's business. if james hears of it, colpa tua!

love
D