Wednesday, January 17, 2007

In the village, the peaceful village!

Have spent the last week in Chita's village staying in his mother's house. Its been interesting to say the least. Fijians are very kind, gentle people and they don't like to tell a kavalangi when they are offending traditional customs, so its been me making mistakes and Chita correcting me.
For example, the front door of the house is only for the owner and his wife to enter. Everyone else has to enter by the back door. There I go skipping in and out of the front door, completely unaware of a serious offence. I know that you have to take your shoes off , from previous visits but making sure your feet are clean is something I tend to forget, as I stroll up from the beach. I also have to sit with my legs not facing the middle door, as outside it is a major walkway where everyone passes, so my legs must not show at all. If anyone walks past, they must be invited in for a cup of tea or kana ( a meal). One night, Chita's sister in law, said"Man we should move the doors, then we could eat our dinner in peace!"
I have to wear the sulu or sarong when I am on the front porch, even if I am wearing shorts. Its been incredibly hot so of course I keep forgetting. I also start out with a sulu over my shorts, from the village, walk up the beach and start taking off clothes, by the time I get to the Warwick Hotel I am in my bathers. Coming home I have to put everything back on and be fully covered.
I hate the fact that my upper body is a gorgeous golden brown but my legs are stark white so whenever possible I get them out.
Staying in the village means eating dinner late, the children and grandma on the floor, either side of a long cloth, and me at the dining table with whoever wants to sit with me. Some nights people come over, they will be polite, and speak a little English but once stories need to be told, its Fijian only. It can be lonely at times, sitting quietly, listening like mad and not understanding a bloody word of it. I have learnt greetings and 'katakata' because it has been very hot. I have had to throw water over my head each night before I go to sleep. The first few days were exhausting as my body was still trying to adjust to the change of temperature. Now after a week, I am tanned, have lost weight, and have been avoiding the humungus portions of food dished out by saying I am on a diet.
Things with the bure bar are creeping a long. We are so close, but have some unexpected expenses. We have the roof to finish, the electricity to put on ( a deal with Mike's divers next door) tables to make, chairs to buy, and a cash register. Bits and pieces like teatowels, receipt books, cutting boards and the like will be scrounged from all around.
To start cash flow I have insisted we start a roadside barbecue. You stop and for $3.50 a serve you receive my garlic, ginger and chilli chicken wings, a bean salad and a piece of cassava. Chita's mum is going to show me how to hack the cassava, or should I say peel the cassava with a machete, not sure how I will go.
Its been hot! hot! Hot! Plenty of drinks and avoiding treats. Chita had a cornetto in Suva yesterday and I had one bite only..... Yes I know its strange but true.
The water in the village has been off for sometime. There have been animated discussions on what needs to be done and who should do it. The mayor has not called a village meeting for months so no one can do anything. I am drinking boiled water mostly but after a visit to the hospital today to see Chita's new nephew, Amelia, his mum and I bumped into two ladies from the village who are looking seriously ill. One has an enormously distended stomach and the other an enormous boil on her neck. I am thinking bacterial, infection and I think its the water. Have to remember to buy Fiji water in the bottle for me to drink tonight. I cannot and do not want to get sick. We have so much to do.
I wake up every day and can use the toilet in the morning but to wash I take a bucketful of water from a nearby tap and slosh it over my head, Japanese style. Its been greatly soothing on some of these hot nights. I get sticky hot and am desperate to shower, but there is no water so I can't just jump in the shower whenever I want to. I also can't use the toilet after 9 am so I spend the day planning my toilet stops. Today I was returning a hire car so I stopped at the Outrigger Hotel and utilised their facilities. Its part of my daily toil.
I love the beach. I love the reef. Went snorkelling with Victor and Natalie to plan a tour last week and just loved floating about. Have been swimming nearly everyday and love just sitting and looking at the sea.
Last trip I was here, I grabbed Chita around the waist as we were heading back to the village. I said' What a beautiful Sunset!
'Yes' was his reply.
Now is the bit where you kiss me in front of the beautiful sunset.
Oh yes Miss Amanda Sutton. Right away.

1 comment:

D said...

mandy, can I go to spotlight and pick you up anything?
let me know.
you have my email address don't you.
if there are particular recete that you need, I can always photocopy them and send them to you or whatever you need.

let me know if I can send you anything.

love
D